Advertisement

Chinese satellite that fell apart in March was hit by debris from a Russian rocket

  • Twenty-one pieces broke off the weather probe and while signals are said to have been detected, it is not known if it is still functioning
  • Astrophysicist says it was struck by objects from a rocket launched in 1996, and low-Earth orbit ‘will see an increased risk of collision’ in future

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
6
China’s Yunhai 1-02 satellite is sent into orbit from the Jiuquan launch centre in the Gobi Desert in September 2019. The probe disintegrated in March. Photo: Xinhua
Five months ago, a Chinese weather satellite suddenly disintegrated.

It was not clear why, but 21 pieces broke off from the probe on March 18, according to a tweet days later from the US Space Force’s 18th Space Control Squadron, which monitors artificial objects in Earth’s orbit.

Yunhai 1-02 had been sent into orbit from the Gobi Desert in September 2019 – its mission to observe oceans, the atmosphere and space, and to prevent and mitigate disasters.

Chinese media seized on speculation online that its fate was related to US weather satellite NOAA-17, which had broken apart 10 days before and created debris.

The China National Space Administration did not release a statement on the incident at the time.

But on Sunday, astrophysicist Jonathan McDowell found the culprit: Yunhai 1-02 was hit by debris from a Russian rocket that launched a military radio surveillance satellite, Tselina-2, in 1996.

Advertisement